Re: Tap tap tap, this thing on?

In <[🔎] 01012610284800.01074@brimhall>, on 26/Jan/2001
   at 10:28 AM,(-0800 GMT)
Geoffrey L. Brimhall <geoffrey.brimhall@supplysolution.com> said:

>> so when I do boot fd0:linux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk it should work?
>> Trouble is that it doesen't here!  boot fd0:linux.gz root=/dev/fd0
>> load_ramdisk=1 dies with  You didn't specify the type of your ufs file
>> system
>> mount -t ufs -o
>> ufstype=sun|sunx86|44bsd|old|nextstep|nextstep-cd|opensep...

>I'm thinking there are 3 possibilities now:

>1). The built milo floppy has problems: MS-DOS formatted a floopy, copied
> linload.exe onto it, and then copied the pc64 version of milo onto it ?
>Are  you absolutely, positively sure your system is a pc64 (the wrong
>build of  milo could definately cause all these problems you're seeing).

I'm sure it's a PC164. The M/board manual that came with it says PC164 and
the sx/lx variant milos won't boot at all.

>If this disk is built and loaded correctly, milo will give you a nice
>command  prompt where you can manually enter the boot parameters (ie,
>boot  fd0:/linux.gz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1).

Yep. I can get all the way to Insert root disk to be loaded into the
ramdisk before I have problems. It'll then say something along the lines
of  compressed image found at 000
then it goes splat and does a dump. (see other posts for exact details.

>2. If you can past stage 1) just fine, then maybe it is that the
>rescue.bin  binary is just not getting cleanly written to your floppy.

That's what I'm working on now (at least the root.bin image) I have 20 od
brand new quality floppys and 4 machines I can use to build images so I
can have 80 goes if I feel inclined (and I probably will... bloody thing
isn't going to beat me, mumble mumble :)

>When I was installing debian on alpha, I ran into some wierdness (or
>maybe  just a lack in confidence) with making sure the rescue.bin was
>getting copied  properly from the alpha system, so I used rawrite2.exe on
>a Intel-MS-DOS box  to build the rescue.bin and root.bin floppies.

>3). There is a bug with the generic rescue.bin with the pc64 milo.

I have tried the new milo for the pc164 from susi's distro ( ver 2.2 ? )
which won't boot at all (hangs at "swapping to PALcode at 0x0")

>I don't understand how this works, but there is a coupling between a milo
> version and a linux kernel. It doesn't work to get a random version
>build of  milo for the pc64 and hope it will work with your kernel - and
>vice versa as  well.

Yes, understood.

Thanks for the feedback :).

--