slow ethernet part 2

Hello,
After several responses to my previous messages, I have managed to fix
all of my ethernet
problems but one.  I am still unable to get acceptable upload speeds
from my computer. (> 20kb/s)
I've used mii-diag to set my card to 100BaseTX-FD which my switch
supports, but this seems
to have no effect (here's the output from mii-diag):

bartender:/home/sluke/net-test# ./mii-diag -F 100baseTx-FD
Using the default interface 'eth0'.
Setting the speed to "fixed", Control register 2100.
Basic registers of MII PHY #32:  1000 786c 0000 0000 0621 41e1 0000
0000.
 Basic mode control register 0x1000: Auto-negotiation enabled.
 You have link beat, and everything is working OK.
 Your link partner advertised 41e1: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx 10baseT-FD
10baseT.

I've also tried using the -A setting to use autonegotiation on the card
also with no effect.  I have
noticed that if I turn off autonegotiation on the switch, I can't even
get a link no matter what I do.
Does anybody have any advice?  (also please let me know if this is not
appropriate for this list,
the computer I'm having problems with is an alpha, but I'm not sure if
this is alpha specific enough...)

Luke Shulenburger
(sluke@mit.edu)