Booting question

	I have a 164SX, running potato, booting 2.2 kernels through
AlphaBIOS (5.62-1) --> MILO (2.0.35). The old disk is DOS-style
partitioned, and I'm putting in a new one to make the system more useful.

	My question is, should I change the way I boot and partition the
system, so that it will be more current or long-term viable?

	It's my understanding that AlphaBIOS is deprecated, SRM was
released for the 164SX, and that systems that can use SRM ought to make
the transition; also, SRM would mean BSD diskslice partitioning, dumping
MILO, and using ABOOT.

	I have no interest in running NT, but I might experiment with one
of the BSDs. Debian will be the primary os. The old drive was IDE, but has
been replaced by a SCSI disk, and the Adaptec 2940AU is now supported by
SRM, so that removes two previous obstacles to SRM.

	Do I need to move to SRM, and what would I gain?

						Thanks,
						Alex Winbow

--
Alex Winbow        Houston/Austin     UT
awinbow@mail.utexas.edu                E