Re: 2.4.0 kernel panic - SMP is the problem

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 10:29:21AM +0000, Edgar Denny wrote:

> Jay, thanks for your config file. I compiled with your config file
> and the kernel booted fine. So I did a bit of playing around.

What was the difference in our .config's?

> If I create a UP kernel, then it boots fine.
>
> However, if I create an SMP kernel, I get the kernel panic.
>
> So, it seems that its a kernel bug.

OK, a couple of questions:

1. both the UP and the SMP kernels mentioned above were GENERIC?

2. both the UP and the SMP kernels mentioned above were built with
   which compiler?

I've been successfully running GENERIC and DP264 kernels built with
EGCS 1.1.2. I have no idea what will happen with later compilers...

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com