Re: 2.4.0 kernel panic - SMP is the problem

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 10:58:42AM -0500, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 10:29:21AM +0000, Edgar Denny wrote:
> >
> > Jay, thanks for your config file. I compiled with your config file
> > and the kernel booted fine. So I did a bit of playing around.
>
> What was the difference in our .config's?
>
> > If I create a UP kernel, then it boots fine.
> >
> > However, if I create an SMP kernel, I get the kernel panic.
> >
> > So, it seems that its a kernel bug.
>
> OK, a couple of questions:
>
> 1. both the UP and the SMP kernels mentioned above were GENERIC?
>
> 2. both the UP and the SMP kernels mentioned above were built with
>    which compiler?
>
> I've been successfully running GENERIC and DP264 kernels built with
> EGCS 1.1.2. I have no idea what will happen with later compilers...
>
> --Jay++

I made only one difference to your config. I removed the
Mylex DAC960/DAC1100 PCI RAID Controller support - it didn't compile.

Other than that, I just enabled/disabled SMP support.

Yes, both the UP and SMP kernels were GENERIC

Hmmm, I'm using debian/unstable, so the compiler is 2.95.3. The blurb
says its taken from the CVS gcc-2_95-branch, dated 20001229)

Edgar.