Re: size of glibc on alph rootdisk

Chris Lumens <chris@slackware.com> writes:

> Hi there.  I've been working on a Slackware port to the Alpha for
> some time and have been having issues getting my rootdisks down to
> size.  I went looking at the sizes of things on the Debian rootdisk
> and noticed that your libc.so is only about 600k.  Since this is
> fully half the size of my libc.so, I would love to know how you
> managed to do that.
>
> Would it be possible for me to take a look at your build scripts,
> patches, etc for making the glibc version that's on your rootdisk?
> It would be very helpful, and much appreciated.

The scripts for creating the boot disks are available via CVS from
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot, empty password.

You might be interested in scripts/rootdisk/mklibs.sh, which is a very
clever script for removing unneeded functions from libraries. It is
currently disabled for each architecture except powerpc, though, so
there seem to be some problems with Alpha...

	Falk