Re: ccc .debs?

"T. Weyergraf" wrote:

> > Greetings,
> Hi,
>
> > I'm trying to test alternative compilation of a package I maintain using
> > ccc/fort, but can only find ccc rpms.  Are there debs, or can I safely
> > alien and install the rpms?
>
> No. You can't alien them safely. There has been a discussion in length about
> this a few weeks ago here. I recommend, checking the archives.

Sorry about that, I saw the "compiling" thread in a search of my debian alpha folder,
but didn't think it focused on ccc until looking again just now.

> > The rpms seem to depend on newer cpml than is available in .deb, and
> > come with newer ladebug.  Can I alien and install them too safely- and
> > without breaking fort?
>
> It's easy to install the rpms by hand and fix things for debian. works good for me.

Thanks.  I haven't checked the new cpml with the old fort yet, but it sounds like it
should be no problem.  The new ccc doesn't work with the old cpml (-whole-archive
gives an internal error), but that's to be expected.

If I get some time in the next week or two, I'm going to attempt new "hollow" .debs of
ccc and friends to go in contrib.  They will require that the user first go through
Q's website to download the .rpms, then postinst prompts for the .rpm filename,
deconstructs it using rpm2cpio, puts everything in the right place, and fixes
everything in accordance with your instructions in the compiling thread.  Something
like the realplayer package.

This way, when new versions come out, instead of trying to work with them to put .debs
in their website- and hoping it happens within a few months, we just update the hollow
.debs.

Makes sense?

Thanks again,

-Adam P.