Searching for packages/Xwindow

Hi,

at the moment, I am setting up my system to get a little bit beyond the
plain base system (potato; I have no permanent internet connection and
no CD, everything is downloaded via ISDN and installed manually with
dpkg -i). I had a look at the dependencies of packages necessary to set
up X11. At the moment I've got xserver-common, xfree86-common, several
xfonts, xlib6g, xlib6g-dev, xvdidetect installed or at least unpacked
(due to missing dependencies). I wanted to install xbase-clients, since
it said, that it contains startx etc., but I cannot find libz1, which is
listed in the dependencies. As well I didn't find fvwm2. Where are they?

In xbase-clients it is mentioned, that it comes with xmodmap. I thought
xmodmap is obsolete and things are running with kbd or (xkbd)?

I know that things will be a little bit more comfortable using apt-get,
but I just installed the manpages to find out, how to handle that beast.
At the moment it's complaining: "Couldn't stat source package list".
Since I haven't read all docus about it yet, I possibly bother you later
with that item ...  ;-)

Regards,

Kerstin

--