Alpha boot disks worked great !

Just wanted to send an email saying I tried the new debian-alpha boot disks,
and they worked great !

The install path I took was installing given with using MILO with the ARC
bios on my eb164 system. Made boot floppies for Linload.exe+MILO,
rescue.bin, and root.bin, and then had the rest of the disks-alpha on a DOS
partition on the alpha box.

The part I was particularly happy about was the fact that install could use
DHCP to configure the ethernet device.

Couple quick notes:
1. Earlier version of debian published MILO had always been un-ususable
because they had corrupted video output. This is *all cleaned up* in the
current MILOs !
2. At one point I was trying to "cheat" by having MILO, rescue.bin and
root.bin loaded directly from the hard-drive where the rest of the
debian-alpha install binaries were located. Problem was that the MILO msdos
fs driver couldn't read the FAT16 (linux fdisk type 6) partition. However,
the msdos fs driver in the rescue.bin *could* read the fat parition just
fine, which is why using the install floppies worked. Using linux fdisk, it
reported that the FAT16 partition's physical/logical beginning/endings were
different and that the partition did not end on a cylinder boundary - maybe
this is why the MILO msdos-fs could not properly read the partition ? WinNT
4.0 was installed on the fat16 partition and I'm assuming it is what made
the strange partition/cylinder settings (or maybe ARC did this ?).

Thanks for the quality of the alpha boot floppies !
geoff Brimhall