Re: Searching for packages/Xwindow

    > Hi,

    > at the moment, I am setting up my system to get a little
    > bit beyond the plain base system (potato; I have no
    > permanent internet connection and no CD, everything is
    > downloaded via ISDN and installed manually with dpkg
    > -i). I had a look at the dependencies of packages
    > necessary to set up X11. At the moment I've got
    > xserver-common, xfree86-common, several xfonts, xlib6g,
    > xlib6g-dev, xvdidetect installed or at least unpacked
    > (due to missing dependencies). I wanted to install
    > xbase-clients, since it said, that it contains startx
    > etc., but I cannot find libz1, which is listed in the
    > dependencies. As well I didn't find fvwm2. Where are
    > they?

You should not use dpkg directly, try apt instead. At least use it
when you need a list of files to download:

"apt-get -u install <packages>" will show you which packages it will
download and how much that is for download and after install.

"apt-get --print-uris <packages>" will print a list of urls, probable
name after download, size and md5sum. Each url enclosed by ''.

apt-get will automatically resolve dependencies for you. Use it, even
when you don`t use it for downloads.

    > In xbase-clients it is mentioned, that it comes with
    > xmodmap. I thought xmodmap is obsolete and things are
    > running with kbd or (xkbd)?

Both are possible. Some keyboards need/want special xmodmaps, for
example when you want to use the "Help" key normal keyboards dont
have.

    > I know that things will be a little bit more comfortable
    > using apt-get, but I just installed the manpages to find
    > out, how to handle that beast.  At the moment it's
    > complaining: "Couldn't stat source package list".  Since
    > I haven't read all docus about it yet, I possibly bother
    > you later with that item ...  ;-)

You need to configure apt, which you can do from dselect step by step.
You can also just edit "/etc/apt/sources.list".

I have the following entries in my /etc/apt/sources.list file (the
last two entries are for sources, which you might not need):

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ frozen main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/ frozen/non-US main non-free contrib

deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ frozen main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US/ frozen/non-US main non-free contrib