Re: segfaults and other murders

Adam C Powell IV (hazelsct@mit.edu) wrote:

> Ah yes, very annoying, segfaults in malloc or free resulting from bad memory
> management elsewhere.  You're right, you do need to know more about the code to
> help under such circumstances.

Exactly and I am no coder. ;-)

> The other option is to use a tool like memprof, but that requires learning it too.
> :-)

Yeah.. maybe another time! :-/

> So you built gnomeicu from scratch, like, from the tarball?  And installed in
> /usr?  Did you overwrite the binary in the .deb, or remove the .deb first?  This
> sounds like you're running the stripped binary from the .deb.

I used my best friend apt-get, who grabbed the source. I then enter the
source tree modified a couple lines in 'configure' (changed every
reference of "-g" to "-g3" (used grep to verify I didn't miss any)). I
watched it compile (as best I could) and it DID use the "-g3". Then I
purged the stock gnomeicu (dpkg --purge gnomeicu) and installed mine
(dpkg -i gnomeicu_0.90b-1_alpha.deb). I tried it a second time and it
still claims there is no debugging. I dunno why?

> That is real annoying!  Sounds like you've identified a crash in the panel...

Identified? I guess so! :-) That sucker died. I've tried to make it do
it, but so far it's only done it twice.

> I think you've done about all that can be reasonably expected for a bug report.
> The maintainer may ask you to do one or two other things, but I'd go ahead and
> report.

Alright. I'll file bug reports on both nmap and gnomeicu, unless someone
thinks otherwise? Anyone?

Ron