Re: segfaults and other murders

Ron Farrer wrote:

> 0x200003f1ee4 in chunk_free () from /lib/libc.so.6.1

Ah yes, very annoying, segfaults in malloc or free resulting from bad memory
management elsewhere.  You're right, you do need to know more about the code to
help under such circumstances.

The other option is to use a tool like memprof, but that requires learning it too.
:-)

Ron Farrer wrote:

> Hmm.. I can't seem to get gnomeicu to run with debugging... I added
> "-g3" to several lines in 'configure' but when I run gdb here is what
> happens:
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/bin/gnomeicu
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
> (no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...

So you built gnomeicu from scratch, like, from the tarball?  And installed in
/usr?  Did you overwrite the binary in the .deb, or remove the .deb first?  This
sounds like you're running the stripped binary from the .deb.

> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
>   serial 9 error_code 9 request_code 134 minor_code 1
>   (no debugging symbols found)...
>   Program exited with code 01.
>
> Another thing. Sometimes when I do this it kills gnome-panel (segfault)
> and when this happens I get logged out. :( I think I should fix that, very
> annoying!

That is real annoying!  Sounds like you've identified a crash in the panel...

> FYI I've run gnomeicu several times and it dies as soon as it goes to
> "online".

I think you've done about all that can be reasonably expected for a bug report.
The maintainer may ask you to do one or two other things, but I'd go ahead and
report.

Sorry I couldn't help more,

-Adam P.