Re: What hardware?

Craig Small (csmall@eye-net.com.au) wrote:

> G'day All,
>   I'll soon finally get my Alpha PC 164SX up and going, but dfirst I
> have to go shopping.  I'm a bit confused about the memory.  I have 4
> memory slots, but some websites you can have up to 128 Meg modules
> and others say 256 Meg modules.  I believe in any case that PC100 memory
> is fine.
>
> So is it 128 or 256?

Memory for the 164SX is in pairs (164SX has two banks). PC100 should
work fine. 256MB DIMMs should also be fine.

> Looking on the DEC site, there seems to be a low number of things
> that are compatible. Is this DEC being slack or is there really a
> harsh limit on what you can run.  I'm particulary interested in what
> ethernet cards work.

Mostly just an outdated DEC site. There is a much more recent list on
alphalinux.org (I forget the exact URL, but it's linked from the front
page). Any card with a TRUE 21143 tulip should work beautifully. Be
careful when shopping as some claim to have tulip chips, but they are
usually some clone that doesn't work as well as the true
21143's. Although in general (at least in my experience). Other
ethernet cards work, but I have always found the DEC ones to be
superior.

HTH,
Ron
--