Re: [Xpert] stripping X server modules on Alpha makes them unusable

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Branden Robinson wrote:

> We know how to turn off stripping for Alpha, that's not the problem.  The
> problem is why the loader is choking on stripped modules.  We don't know.

This loader is different from the libc loader in that it operates on the
symbols that are used when linking an object (and are the ones that get
stripped). This differ from the .so libraries that the libc loader uses. They
have a .dynsym section which is still there even if the object gets stripped.

What is the error message when it chokes?

It is still puzzleing why it does something different on Alpha vs others.
Maybe someone could run  objdump --headers on Alpha & x86 versions of the
same modules so we can see if there are any interesting differences.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/