Re: Kernel 2.4.0-test11-pre5 compilation

Chris

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 08:55:02PM -0500, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Robert Martinovic wrote:
>
> > To be honest, i haven't had a 2.4 kernel boot.
>
> Really?  I've had fair success with more recent revisions (test10 and
> test11-pre1).  Then again, I have a Symbios-based SCSI adapter.

My understanding were that Adaptec cards were very well supported. My card works flawlessly under 2.2.17.  This is the first kernel 2.4 that has fully built the debian way on my system (Nautilus). I have tried both generic and nautilus kernels, and the same problem.

The 2.4 series have been nothing but painful on my system.  The main 3 reasons I want to get them working is:
1. Sound Blaster Live! support
2. DRI, and agpgart support for my Matrox g400
3. USB *stable* support

> > I have always used the 'debian' way. I might try the 'other' way. I
> > like the fact that dpkg moves the old kernel to vmlinuz.old, so if there
> > are any problems booting, i can always boot from vmlinuz.old at srm
>
> I can understand that.  I have my aboot.conf set up with several testing
> configs that use generic names like 'linux-2.4.0pre.gz' and such.  I just
> cp vmlinux.gz to those names to test boot them.  Right now, I have about
> four working configurations that I can boot to and two or three others
> that are specifically for testing newer 2.4.0-test kernels.

I'm not willing nor experienced enough to try something like this.  I'll just keep trying until one of the kernels works.

Robert