Re: Kernel 2.4.0-test11-pre5 compilation

Chris,

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 08:25:19PM -0500, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Robert Martinovic wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I compiled the latest 2.4 series kernel - test10 with the test11-pre5 patch.
> >
> > Everything, including SBLive! and USB support, compiled fine.  The only
> > problem is that when i boot with this kernel, it hangs, the last message
> > being "Adaptec AHA2940.... "
> >
> > All relevant SCSI options have been included.
>
> Ugh...what's the last 2.4.0-test kernel that you compiled and booted on
> that machine (even the "other" way)?

To be honest, i haven't had a 2.4 kernel boot.

> > I was hoping that this would be the first 2.4 series kernel to be
> > compiled the debian way, and WORK.
>
> Hehehehe...yeah, I haven't really tried compiling kernels that way,
> honestly.  I know I should one day, but considering how often I compile
> and patch the kernel, it's just usually too inconvenient.

I have always used the 'debian' way. I might try the 'other' way. I like the fact that dpkg moves the old kernel to vmlinuz.old, so if there are any problems booting, i can always boot from vmlinuz.old at srm

Robert