Re: Kernel 2.4.0-test11-pre5 compilation

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Robert Martinovic wrote:

> My understanding were that Adaptec cards were very well supported. My
> card works flawlessly under 2.2.17.  This is the first kernel 2.4 that
> has fully built the debian way on my system (Nautilus). I have tried
> both generic and nautilus kernels, and the same problem.

They usually are well supported.  I'm wondering what changed in that
driver between the 2.2.x and 2.4.0-test series (then again, what hasn't
changed...there were quite a few drivers that were practically rewritten).

> The 2.4 series have been nothing but painful on my system.  The main 3
> reasons I want to get them working is:
> 1. Sound Blaster Live! support
> 2. DRI, and agpgart support for my Matrox g400
> 3. USB *stable* support

I can understand this.  I know that API has tested USB support
successfully under 2.4.0-test kernels, but I'm not sure if they were using
the Adaptec driver or if they had installed another SCSI adapter and used
that instead.  I'll ask...

> I'm not willing nor experienced enough to try something like
> this.  I'll just keep trying until one of the kernels works.

Hehehehe...ok.  I'll see if I can look at the driver source in the next
few days to see if I notice anything obvious...