Re: compiling

Greetings to Düsseldorf and to the rest of the Alpha-Linux world,

together with another linuxer, I tried to find out a little bit more
about the segfault problem appearing with one source code.

khe@alphons:~/Compile/Molbio/mrBayes$ gcc -O -c command.c
command.c: In function `DoAction':
command.c:953: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a
cast
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

We could delimit the problem to the optimization flags -O, -O2 and -O3.
Whenever these are used, it crashes with fatal signal 11. All other
options did have no crashing effect (-funroll-all-loops -Wa,-m21164a
-mieee). Since the Compaq compiler doesn´t have this problem, the whole
compilation ends up in an executable binary, and compilations of the
same program under i386-linux with gcc do work out as well, we had the
idea that this might be a gcc bug specific for Alphas and possibly worth
while reporting to the bugtracking system. The source code of the
program in question is available for free from a ftp server. Will it be
O.K. to send the source codes as an attachment together with the bug
report?

Regards,

Kerstin

--