Re: compiling

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> We could delimit the problem to the optimization flags -O, -O2 and -O3.
> Whenever these are used, it crashes with fatal signal 11. All other
> options did have no crashing effect (-funroll-all-loops -Wa,-m21164a
> -mieee).

Yes, this can be quite common.  Alphas seem to be much more intolerant to
some of the backend changes that have been made to gcc than other
architectures, especially when it comes to the optimiser.

> idea that this might be a gcc bug specific for Alphas and possibly worth
> while reporting to the bugtracking system. The source code of the
> program in question is available for free from a ftp server. Will it be
> O.K. to send the source codes as an attachment together with the bug
> report?

See the following link for more info on what the gcc folk need in a bug
report:
	http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html

Usually, original source is discouraged.  The offending file,
preprocessed, is much preferred, as the above page mentions.  This
elminates any problems/solutions that may pop up as a result of different
headers being used.