compilation on alpha noname

I installed Debian Potato (2.2.17) on an AXPCI33 it works  with the Generic
kernel (original install).
I tried to build a new kernel (in order to add hisax module) , so I followed
the instruction :
make xconfig
make dep
make clean
make boot
make modules
make modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz  /boot  (found on aboot
documentation)
ln -s /boot/vmlinux.gz vmlinux.new
>From SRM console I tried to test this new kernel
>>boot dka0 -file vmlinux.new root=/dev/sda2
*	it start to boot   (load hisax modules, NIC cards ) and crash with
"VFS: cannot open root device 00:00
kernel Panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 00:00 "
The scsi drivers( ncr53c810) is recognized but not able to boot on the
partition.
Did I forget something , a command , installation of   files ( system.map,
.config...)
Thanks for your answer