Re: Single User Mode?

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:54:40PM +0100, Iain Johnstone wrote:

> As for the Voodoo .....mmmm. Bought some time ago for a wintel machine and
> thought the 1000A would make a nice gnome workstation (overkill???) so put
> it in there instead. Sort of given up now. I can get hold of a Matrox
> Millennium so I will give that a try.

What problems have you had? Does it get initialized under SRM via BIOS
emulation or do you end up with black screen of death? Or is it the
X server you're having trouble with? There are some patches for the
problem on EV5 machines if that's what you are running into; let me know.

Millennia of either flavor (I or II) should work well; again make sure
you have a reasonably recent SRM console version, as a really old one
will have trouble even with Millennia...

> Oh .... now using RedHat on the machine. Would rather have Debain but all
> seems to work although the 1meg video card gives me sh*t resolution. I
> think I will stick with Sparcs in the future. Got the Alpha for around $100
> ... bargain??

1. Yes, the builtin Trio64 is 1MB and slow; I assume you found the jumper
   that will disable it, so that other cards can be substituted?

2. I'd call it a bargain for an EV5; lots of PCI slots, robust PS, it can
   hold a fair amount of memory. Makes a UDB look petrified... ;-}

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com