From: Christopher C. Chimelis [mailto:chris@debian.org]
Sent: 06 September 2000 18:25
To: JOHNSTONE,IAIN (A-Scotland,ex1)
Cc: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org; Henry House
Subject: RE: FrameBuffers

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, JOHNSTONE,IAIN (A-Scotland,ex1) wrote:

> OK, Debian it is, just having problems getting hold of potato at the
moment.

Connection problems or is a mirror full?

> Nothing was passed to the kernel on boot.

AFAIK, you shouldn't need to pass anything special to the kernel for it to
work.

> I would like to hope that they are not too much hassle. I have a
SparcUltra
> 1 running RedHat that I would like to replace as my workstation with the
AS
> 1000A with my Voodoo3 running Debian and Gnome. I think/hope that it would
> be a bit faster that the sparc (-:

I'll take that sparc if you don't want it :-P  (I've got three older
sparcs already).

Question on your problem, though...once it gets past SRM, is there ANY
text echoed to the screen (ie. kernel messages) or is it just blank?  I'm
wondering if it's the kernel at fault or if it's something else.  If the
kernel text is showing, then that's one more thing we can probably
eliminate.  Also, if it's DarkHelmet...er...RedHat, then I believe they
run the vga16 server for part of their install (please correct me if I'm
wrong...it's been awhile since I played with RH), which may also have
some problem dealing with the V3.