Re: Kernel-2.4.0-test6 appears successful

Thomas,

--- "Thomas W." <kirk@colinet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> just for your info:
> I successfully compiled linus-2.4.0-test6 for my
> UP2000, which has
> been so far the first 2.4.0 series kernel working
> for me.

I have yet to get any of the 2.4.X series working for
me, on my up1000 (or nautilus or it's more correctly
known)

> Hint: make dep does not seem to run make archdep
> correctly, so vmlinux.lds
> is not build from vmlinux.lds.in in arch/alpha.
> Prior to make boot, make
> sure to run make archdep.

Are you using the kernel-package at all? I have tried:
make dep
make archdep
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.X.X kernel_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image***.deb

> So far, I have not encountered problems. I would
> like to give 2.4.0 a
> try, since it fixes some things, I would like to see
> fixed.

I have not managed to get it compiled. I still get
"arch/alpha/vmlinuz.lds no such file or directory"

> Are there any good resons not to use 2.4.0 - aside
> from the obvious
> "it's certainly not production-release yet" ?
> I have some rather obscure races and stuck spinlocks
> in 2.2.14-16, which
> 2.4.0 is apparently not suffering. Anything, I
> should be aware of ?
> ( The "rest" of my System is a potato snapshot taken
> at a time
> between test-cycle 2 and 3 - unfortunately, I seems
> to take some time
> until the 2.2 release appears at my favorite mirror,
> and ftp.debian.org
> is overloaded, as expected. grumbl )
>
> Anyway, just FYI.
>
> Regards,