Kernel-2.4.0-test6 appears successful

Hi,
just for your info:
I successfully compiled linus-2.4.0-test6 for my UP2000, which has
been so far the first 2.4.0 series kernel working for me.
Hint: make dep does not seem to run make archdep correctly, so vmlinux.lds
is not build from vmlinux.lds.in in arch/alpha. Prior to make boot, make
sure to run make archdep.

So far, I have not encountered problems. I would like to give 2.4.0 a
try, since it fixes some things, I would like to see fixed.

Are there any good resons not to use 2.4.0 - aside from the obvious
"it's certainly not production-release yet" ?
I have some rather obscure races and stuck spinlocks in 2.2.14-16, which
2.4.0 is apparently not suffering. Anything, I should be aware of ?
( The "rest" of my System is a potato snapshot taken at a time
between test-cycle 2 and 3 - unfortunately, I seems to take some time
until the 2.2 release appears at my favorite mirror, and ftp.debian.org
is overloaded, as expected. grumbl )

Anyway, just FYI.

Regards,
Thomas Weyergraf

--
Thomas Weyergraf                                                kirk@colinet.de
My Favorite IA64 Opcode-guess ( see arch/ia64/lib/memset.S )