Re: old XL

>> The other thing sound like you found the heat sensor , which basically give
>> lower resistance when
>> temperature gets higher , causing the fan to run faster. Shorting it out
would
>> cause the fan to
>> run at full speed. If your CPU gets too hot , you should try to put that
sensor
>> somewhere in the airflow
>> coming from the CPU. Mind you , alpha's do get quite hot. (running it at max
rpm
>> won't hurt either)
>
>Should I try to resolder the heat sensor attachment back on, or just run
>it always at high speed? If I put it back on, I'll have to tape it down in

Well if you don't mind the noise ..... A cpu can never be too cold   ;-)

>the airflow path -- it was just lying loose before. I guess I'll just run

That might be why the cpu was getting so hot in the first place.

>it always at high RPM, but I think I'll check the voltages from the power
>supply first...
>
>Also, which way does the case fan go? ;-) I took it apart for cleaning,
>and thought I put it back together, but it seems to be intaking at the
>front/case fan, and then just exiting out the back through the holes in
>the case--is that right?

Not sure on this one. I'd say you are right tho. I only have 1 XL and that
is a 466 (thats right a 486, still looking for a alpha cpu daugtercard !! )
and that does air intake at the front too.

>BTW, thanks a lot for the quick response.
>Andy

You're welcome.

Jaap