Re: wonky time when upgrading to potato

Paul Slootman wrote:

> On Tue 01 Aug 2000, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > >
> > This "... time seemed to jump around randomly..." is exactly what I have
> > seen, for example, on UP1000 with a kernel compiled without RTC support.
> > If you will read with hwclock in a loop some of returned values will
> > be correct and some will jump around.  How often one or another seems
>
> You snipped out the part where I wrote that the system time is set *once*
> at boot time from the HW clock. You're describing a situation where the
> HW clock is read out in a loop. I can hardly imagine that the original
> poster did that.

You are splitting hairs.  Yes, reading time in a loop happens usually
in a test situation as normally you are not setting time from a hardware
clock every two seconds or so.  OTOH I was running these tests exactly
because reading time once in a bootup process was not predictable.

I did not realize that such distinctions were not obvious in the
situation and so important to you.  The "snipping" was not intentional.
Apologies.

  Michal