Re: wonky time when upgrading to potato

On Tue 01 Aug 2000, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> This "... time seemed to jump around randomly..." is exactly what I have
> seen, for example, on UP1000 with a kernel compiled without RTC support.
> If you will read with hwclock in a loop some of returned values will
> be correct and some will jump around.  How often one or another seems

You snipped out the part where I wrote that the system time is set *once*
at boot time from the HW clock. You're describing a situation where the
HW clock is read out in a loop. I can hardly imagine that the original
poster did that.

See also the threads starting at:
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha-9908/msg00056.html
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha-9909/msg00015.html
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha-9909/msg00158.html
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha-9911/msg00025.html
etc.

In other words, it's a known problem with potato libs and a 2.0
kernel on _any_ type of alpha. Period.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/