Re: FYI...good stuff :-)

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

> Just for the record: Go ahead an ask your nationonal compaq headquarter.
> In Germany, They do not have Problems to lend (a little bit older) kick
> ass servers with no costs to developers. THey have older Servers they
> used to give away for fairs and exhibitions. But those are not too
> interesting after a while.
>
> I got a Alphaserver 1200 this way. (have to give it back now, since I
> leæve the courtry.) And they do try to push linux.

Ah, very encouraging.  I'll have to do that.  I've got some contacts in
Compaq, but haven't talked to them in awhile.  Last time I asked, they
were more involved in the whole DEC->Compaq changeover than anything else
(back then, they weren't sure where Alpha would fit in with Compaq's
strategy).  I'll have to re-open communication with them.  My SX is
starting to really show it's limits now that the distributions are growing
in size.  Hell, just a few weeks ago, glibc, gcc, and X all had new
versions to compile and it took nearly all day just to do those.  It'd be
nice to have a machine that would handle that in less time if possible
(not to mention that I have under 9G of drive space and can't even
maintain a mirror, so I have to scp everything I compile).