Re: Is the WindowMaker package working ok on Alpha?

 Jean-Paul> I have had no problems with cdparanoia. but that does not
 Jean-Paul> need to run under X. More details please and we can try
 Jean-Paul> and find your problem?

here is the error

> cdparanoia -vsQ -d /dev/hda
cdparanoia III release 9.7 (December 13, 1999)
(C) 1999 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/hda for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/hda for cooked ioctl() interface
                CDROM sensed: ATAPI compatible TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6302B

Table of contents (audio tracks only):
track        length               begin        copy pre ch
TOTAL       0 [00:00.00]    (audio only)

> cdparanoia -B -d /dev/hda

cdparanoia III release 9.7 (December 13, 1999)
(C) 1999 Monty <monty@xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia@xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

400: Device not open
400: Device not open
400: Device not open
400: Device not open
400: Device not open
400: Device not open
400: Device not open
Ripping from sector      -1 (track -1 [0:00.00])
	  to sector      -1 (track -1 [0:00.00])

400: Device not open
400: Device not open
400: Device not open
400: Device not open
400: Device not open
400: Device not open
outputting to track-1.cdda.wav

Looking at this matter I have never used an IDE drive with cdparanoia
and suspect that may be the problem.

I tried a scsi cdrom drive and it is working now. I wonder if I have
to compile the scsi emulation into the ide driver?

Now I have to give cdrecord a try next.

Thanks for the tip.

Alan