Re: Is the WindowMaker package working ok on Alpha?

 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> I was reading some docs on the WindowMaker tarball, and found
 >> this:

The windowmaker that comes with potato runs fine under alpha. I have
one machine with windowmaker and so far no problems.

 Anton> Disclaimer: alphas under my command have never run X and are
 Anton> least likely to suddenly start running it anytime soon.

I run X without any problems, and the only app that does not work that
I have tried is cdparanoia.

 Anton> 	Check where is yours at the moment and raise it to a more
 Anton> appropriate value by either catting to the appropriate /proc
 Anton> entry or changing the /usr/src/linux/include/asm/shmparam.h.

Could you kindly tell me the location in /proc to change?

I did look in shmparam.h

i386 had this
#define SHMMAX 0x2000000        /* max shared seg size (bytes) */
/* Try not to change the default shipped SHMMAX - people rely on it */
33,554,432

alhpa had this
#define SHMMAX 0x3fa000         /* max shared seg size (bytes) */
4,169,728 bytes

That is a hugh difference.

However top shows 91072K shrd which is more than in the header file.
So what is correct?

By the way why is it that True 64 Netscape does not launch a
subprocess? It totally refuses to start any helper apps.

Thanks for the information.

Alan