164sx help needed

Hi all, I need some help, it seems that I cannot get linux to boot on
this machine. I will start from the beginning:
I have srm console v5.6-2, and with the debian 2.1 alpha cd in the ide
cd-rom, I configured it to boot the linux image from the cd
boot/sx164/linux, which it does and goes into the aboot loader version
0.5, and starts to load the kernel. Well when I get to the partition
check during the kernel load the drive keeps doing a irq-timeout until
it just gives up and needs to be rebooted, and I have not gotten any
further.
I believe I have done everything right as far as setting up the boot
parameters:
>>>show boot*
boot_dev               dqa0.0.0.108.0
boot_file                boot/sx164/linux
boot_osflags          root=/dev/hdb2
boot_reset             on
bootdef_dev          dqa0.0.0.108.0
booted_dev
booted_file
booted_osflags

Now why is my ide disk timing out? I don't know, the drive works fine
with tru64,nt. And shows no errors on my intel slackware box (which I
used to partition and setup the ext2 file systems). So I am at a loss. I
don't know, maybe I am not even booting this thing the right way, before
I kept getting kernel panic's because it could not open a display, now I
am getting this, and who knows maybe if I get by the irq time-out thing
fixed, it may just error with the display problem. I do have a matrox
millennia, and a diamond stealth64 for this box. So I will cross that
bridge when I get to it.

Well thanks for hearing me out, and if you have any solutions and or
advice, it is all appreciated!
Thanks,
Jim