large files

Hi

  I am currently working on a project which will include a large table on
mysql. I will be needing to store about 3.2GB of data on a table. I believe the
maximum file size (not disk size) on a pentium class system is about 4 GB. I
have a multia, on which I can do some tests, so my question is: Does the file
size limit still apply on an alpha machine ?? Is the limit imposed by the
kernel or by the ext2 filesystem ??

  I'm guessing that if the limit is imposed by the kernel, then a 64 bit
machine would solve my problems...

    Thanks.

      Arturo Galvan.