Re: Problems with interface enumeration

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 01:52:57PM -0400, David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> Looks like standard bad old coding practice.  Various people have done
> a pretty thorough 64-bit-cleanliness audit on NetKit, so that stuff
> should all be gone, we hope.

I found that one relatively recently, although the patch itself is
fairly old so it might just be that the patches haven't made their way
into our packages.

> But I don't see the connection to enumerating network interfaces -
> correct me if I'm wrong but this just looks like it will result in a
> broken select(2) call in some cases...

The user-level symptoms are that the program either ends up thinking
that there aren't any network interfaces or can't reconcile /proc with
what it can probe for.  Zebra did this last time I checked, and nmap
from frozen certainly does it - it barfs because it doesn't think that
the network interfaces really exist.

Like I say, I'm not sure I haven't done something silly in the kernel
configuration or something.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/