Re: automatic booting with aboot

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Othmar Pasteka wrote:

> hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:03:56AM -0400, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> > It should be in the most recent version.  But we really need a FAQ
> > list, because this is a FAQ :)
> > >From the SRM prompt, enter:
>
> well this IS NOT in the srm howto or i am really BLIND (maybe
> that's why my nick is BlindMan? 8) ...

>From the SRM HOWTO at:
http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/srm-4.html#ss4.6
(this is where the 'official' copy is kept)

4.6 Booting Linux

With the SRM firmware and aboot installed, Linux is generally booted with
a command of the form:

     boot devicename -fi filename -fl flags

The filename and flags arguments are optional. If they are not specified,
SRM uses the default values stored in environment variables BOOTDEF_DEV ,
BOOT_OSFILE and BOOT_OSFLAGS. The syntax and meaning of these two
arguments is described in more detail below. To list the current values of
these
variables type show boot* at the SRM command prompt. This will also show a
boot_dev variable (among others), this variable is read only and needs to
be
changed via the bootdef_dev variable.

Nothing about auto_action, I'll add that into the next rev.

--rdp