Re: trying to install slink from cdrom on ds10...

> > After typing "boot" at the prompt SRM does a few things and then a
> > linux kernel starts booting.  It's hard to see what all is happening
> > because it scrolls so fast, but it seems to be detecting the hardware
> > and doing normal things I would expect to see a kernel doing during
> > boot.  Then, WHAMMO!  I'm back at the SRM prompt and I have a message
> > that the kernel has halted.  I think it says the halt code is 5.
>
> The most frequent cause for halt at this stage is "kernel panic: unable
> to mount root partition," which is quite strange given the
> "root=/dev/hda" parameter in boot_flags.  It might (unlikely, though) be
> that the CD-ROM is detected as a different IDE device - hdc, hdb or hdd,
> but other than that, I can't think of any reason why it won't
> boot.  Maybe somebody who remembers slink kernel and CD layout could
> help?

Thanks, Nikita.  I'm relatively sure I can see a kernel message that says
"hda: COMPAQ ATAPI CDROM DRIVE", which makes this all the more
annoying.  In the meantime I'm trying every device name I can think of.

Since I'm actually sitting in front of the computer in question this
morning, I figured I would send all of the SRM/aboot messages that I'm
left with after the CPU halts for debugging purposes:

-----

reading 168 blocks from dqa0.0.0.13.0
bootstrap code read in
base = 200000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 15000
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at ff8a000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code
aboot: Linux/Alpha SRM bootloader version 0.5
aboot: switching to OSF/1 PALcode version 1.51
aboot: no disklabel found
aboot: booted_dev=`ide 0 13 0 0 0 0 0', guessing boot_device=`scd0'
iso: Max size:323778   Log zone size:2048
iso: First datazone:27   Root inode number 55296
aboot: loading plain /boot/generic/linux...
aboot: unexpected object file format 143631
aboot: loading compressed /boot/generic/linux...
aboot: ok, now starting the kernel...

[this is where the kernel boots, scrolls really quickly and disappears]

halted CPU 0

halt code = 5
HALT instruction executed
PC = fffffc0000310088