networking/route add

Hello,
I've got problems setting up networking on a Jensen/AXP150
(Debian2.1 with the kernel 2.2.12.gz/jensen2.img from
www.khubla.com/hobbies/jensen/images/jensen2.img).

my ethernet card & driver is a:

eth0: 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, AUI port, address 00 a0 24 a2 68 f9, IRQ 10.
3c509.c:1.16 (2.2) 2/3/98 becker@cesdi.gsfc.nasa.gov.

networking was set up whilst the Debian Installation an is started on
bootup using /etc/init.d/network which shows:

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=141.20.135.81
NETMASK=255.255.255.192
NETWORK=141.20.135.64
BROADCAST=141.20.135.127
GATEWAY=141.20.135.65
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${broadcast}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

According to my local network-(but windows)-guru these numbers are
correct. Pinging 141.20.135.81 itself works as good as pinging 127.0.0.1
but no host outside is reachable. It's a 10baseT static IP network.

I'm not sure if all of this is a misconfiguarion by me of myself or what
else is going on.

Dmesg shows the bootup errors:
SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument
eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

Setting the route according to /etc/init.d/network by hand reproduces the
SIOCADDRT-Errors for lo and eth0. Unfortunately, I don't know what that
SIOC... stuff means. Help?

netstat -r shows literally nothing. ifconfig shows the devices set up
correctly (in my eyes) accrding to /etc/init.d/network.

The network/IP-adress is working properly with another box.

So, I'm a little bit lost as I can't see the meaning of this nasty Errors.
Thanks for any hint and for requesting more info (!!).
Tino