Re: Alpha issues (SRM installation)

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 10:41:48AM -0500, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> Yup, this is in CVS now.  It seems to work pretty well (there is a lot
> of non-alpha related brokenness in the current boot-floppies, some of
> it my fault :), which is why I haven't announced the build I did).
> One more thing that needs to go in is that, before partitioning an SRM
> box, we should ask the user if they want to run sdisklabel to wipe out
> the existing OSF disklabel or MS-DOG partition table.  Linux fdisk
> does really strange things (yes, this is a bug) when it sees an
> existing OSF/1 label on a disk, so they need to be wiped out before
> running fdisk.
>
> Actually we will have patches to fix fdisk somewhat in the near future
> (it can start up in BSD mode, zero out the label, etc).  Also my
> patches to aboot should be available soon too.

As the debian aboot maintainer, I would be most interested in patches to
aboot.  I have made two changes which I haven't uploaded yet (not sure
if they should go into frozen).  I added symlink support to the ext2fs
code, so /vmlinuz can be a symlink to the real kernel.  The other change
is that I added a flag to swriteboot to set the partition with the
config file (like abootconf does).

Let me know if you are interested in either of these.  As I mentioned I
have been hesitant to upload an aboot package with these new features
this late in the freeze, but I think it would be nice if the aboot in
the boot-floppies was the same as the one in the package.

Greg
--
Greg Johnson                          gjohnson@physics.clarku.edu
http://physics.clarku.edu/~gjohnson            finger for PGP key