Re: Alpha issues (SRM installation)

cetus@snowball.ucd.ie said:

> It's probably best to check the 'system serial number' field in
> /proc/cpuinfo: whether it starts with 'MILO' or not, as in
>
> [...]
> system revision		: 0
> system serial number	: MILO-2.0.35-c7
> cycle frequency [Hz]	: 231996548
> [...]
>
> This is the same algorithm a generic kernel uses to determine which way it
> was booted.

Why don't the non-generic kernels do this too?

Was someone trying to save one page of memory? AFAICS building an SRM
kernel and trying to boot it from MILO seems to be one of the biggest
single points of failure people new to Alpha are experiencing here.

--
Martin Lucina http://www.kotelna.sk/mato/ Wellington, New Zealand
I've always been mad I know I've been mad like the most of us are