Re: Alpha issues (SRM installation)

On Fri, Feb 11, 2000 at 01:13:25AM +0000, pmaydell@chiark.greenend.org.uk wrote:
> fdisk as found on the floppies from http://koenig.isr.uni-stuttgart.de/debian
> has a number of problems it would be nice to fix.
>
> (2) if you create a BSD partition table, write to disk, exit fdisk and then
> restart fdisk, you get a nasty message about your disk not having a DOS
> partition table or a Sun or SGI disklabel and therefore not being bootable.
>
> (3) fdisk tends to produce irrelevant x86 specific messages about DOS
> partitions and large disks...

These seem to be a consequence of the fact that it starts up in MS-DOG
partition table mode.  It would probably be useful to hack it so that it has
an option to go straight to disklabel mode - I don't see this being terribly
hard.

Of course in the long run, I believe we should abandon fdisk and cfdisk
completely and use our own, more user-friendly) partitioning utility based
on Red Hat's libfdisk from anaconda, or one of the derivatives thereof.