Re: Alpha issues (SRM installation)

pmaydell@chiark.greenend.org.uk said:

> fdisk as found on the floppies from http://koenig.isr.uni-stuttgart.de/debian
> has a number of problems it would be nice to fix.
>
> (1) it still has the bug mentioned in the SRM-HOWTO, viz, if your disk has
> X cylinders, the prompt when creating a partition suggests ending it at X+1.

Argh! Don't start that flame war! I remember being assured by the fdisk
maintainer some time ago that this was fixed in the current fdisk. However
I never got around to testing it, so it's possible he was wrong.

What version of fdisk is on the floppies?

> (2) if you create a BSD partition table, write to disk, exit fdisk and then
> restart fdisk, you get a nasty message about your disk not having a DOS
> partition table or a Sun or SGI disklabel and therefore not being bootable.
>
> (3) fdisk tends to produce irrelevant x86 specific messages about DOS
> partitions and large disks...

Yes, well, fdisk has its roots on the x86, and it shows.

--
Martin Lucina http://www.kotelna.sk/mato/ Wellington, New Zealand
I've always been mad I know I've been mad like the most of us are