Re: kernel-image-2.2.13-eb164 milo problems

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 05:40:31PM +0000, Nikita Schmidt wrote:
> Must be the new VGA initialisation code - c5.1 was built with the non-free
> Digital x86 emulator, while 991007 switched to doing it messing with
> registers directly.  This is faster, the code is smaller, and might
> eventually work on cards with very weird BIOSes where the emulator fails.
> Apparently it's not as reliable as the emulator, so we should switch back,
> which is a pity.

I should add that it doesn't work on my Matrox Millennium I either.

I seem to remember reading that the problem is a lot of SVGA cards don't
actually start up in VGA mode and thus require some kind of proprietary
bit-banging (done, naturally, in their on-board BIOS) to get them there.