constructing a bootp'able kernel image

Hi,

I'm trying to build a bootp'able kernel image from the 2.2.14
sources, this is my first attempt at a kernel build on non x86 hardware and I'm kind of feeling my way.  I've pieced together the following from the SRM and Alpha HOW-TO's.

After unpacking the .tar.gz in /usr/src, I ran;

# make clean
# make mrproper
# make config
# make dep
# make boot

which resulted in a file called
/usr/src/linux/arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz. I then ran;

# make modules
# make modules_install

I then attempted to add the aboot header etc...

# cat /boot/net_aboot.nh /usr/src/linux/arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz /boot/net_pad > /boot/vmlinux-2.2.14.bootp

I copied the /boot/vmlinux-2.2.14.bootp to the /tftpboot directory
of the bootp server, modified the config file, restarted the
bootp daemon (dhcpd in this case) and then reset the client machine. The client starts up in
SRM ok, retrieves vmlinux-2.2.14.bootp ok, then I see the aboot
messages, the last of which is;

aboot: ok, now starting the kernel...

but the machine hangs there.

Any pointers anyone?? What am I missing?? Is 'make boot' the
right target to build the kernel??

Regards,

Shaun

--
Shaun Cloherty
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering