Re: Old Alpha machines - are they suitable?

>>> "Oliver Elphick" said:
> I have the chance to get hold of an old Alpha machine:
>
> > I've had a chance to take a quick look at the Alpha boxes we have in the
> > graveyard -
> > DEC 3000 model 400 with CD no floppy
> > DEC 3000 model 300x no CD/floppy
> >
> > We have one DEC monitor to hand that 'fits' - I think the other is in use
> > on a PC somewhere.
> >
> > I gather they are 2xx MHz and use the Turbo Channel Bus - I gather the last
> > bit may be the decider - does LINUX support it?
>
> Can you tell me if these machines can be used with Linux?

Not at the moment - they are the TurboChannel machines with Alpha CPU.

I seem to recall some messages on linux-kernel about someone who has been
attempting to get them going, using network (bootp) boot, adapting the
MIPS TC bus support to the Alpha, but I don't recall much else.

Those boxes are currently supported by (at least 1 of) the *BSDs, I believe.

Good luck.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                       Alpha Engineering - LINUX
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20    (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752  Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com