Re: Old Alpha machines - are they suitable?

Andrew J Patterson wrote:
      > last
  >
  >You are right.. linux has no turbo channel support (well not when I looked 6
      > mnths
  >ago and I think it would take a fair bit of hacking for it ever to be suppor
      >ted..)
  >
  >> > Can you tell me if these machines can be used with Linux?
  >
  >So I guess the answer is no but luckily NetBSD does work on a DEC 3000/400
  >and so I've had to settle for that.. (www.netbsd.org for the details)

There seems to be Turbo Channel support in kernel 2.3.35 (linux/drivers/tc/).
Is that what is needed to support these machines?

In netbsd archives, there are posts that indicate there is no support for
X with Turbo Channel bus. Would the same be true of Linux (if the tc drivers
are useful for Alpha)?

     "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich
      in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were
      dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been
      saved."        Ephesians 2:4,5