Re: Netbooting into Debian setup

Hi!

>* The DEC has 16MB of good RAM and a 1GB refurbished hard drive attached
>to the on-board SCSI adapter. All the on-board peripherals are supposed to
>work fine.

Did you test the RAM with the SRM-testsuite?

>* What do I need to do to set up the BOOTP server? I know I've got the
>modify the /etc/bootptab file and the /etc/inetd.conf file, but I'm not
>exactly sure what I need to do to correctly modify those.

I use the following setup to boot two DECstations (MIPS-based):
---------------/etc/inetd.conf (only relevant lines)------------
tftp	dgram	udp	wait	nobody	/usr/sbin/tcpd	in.tftpd	/tftpboot
bootps	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/sbin/bootpd	bootpd -d 4 -c /tftpboot /etc/bootptab
---------------end----------------------------------------------

This setup is from a SuSE4.4 (well, it was one, long, long ago...), so
you have to check if the paths are right. /tftpboot is the default path,
which I needed anyway for mopd, so you may choose another.

---------------/etc/bootptab (full)------------------------------
.allhosts:bf=null:\
	:ht=1:\
	:sm=255.255.255.0:\
	:ds=192.168.22.1:\
	:gw=192.168.22.1:\
	:lp=192.168.22.1:\
	:dn=neumuenster.netsurf.de:\
	:sa=192.168.22.1:bs=auto:
imel:ha=08002b2da851:\
	:ip=192.168.22.3:\
	:bf=lin2.2.10.ecoff:\
	:td=/tftpboot/imel:\
	:hd=/tftpboot/imel:\
	:hn:tc=.allhosts:
efrel:ha=08002b316ca6:\
	:ip=192.168.22.4:\
	:bf=lin2.2.10.ecoff:\
	:td=/tftpboot/efrel:\
	:hd=/tftpboot/efrel:\
	:hn:tc=.allhosts:
This one is up to you completely, you will have to change almost
every line in it. Please see `man bootptab`.

>* I'll need to set up a TFTP server w/ the boot image to send the DEC,
>right? I know this involves modifying /etc/inetd.conf as well, but I don't
>know what else I need to do to set up the TFTP server.

For the tftp and bootp servers, AFAIK only the entries in /etc/services:

bootps          67/tcp          # BOOTP server
bootps          67/udp
bootpc          68/tcp          # BOOTP client
bootpc          68/udp
tftp            69/udp

>* I need to set up the NFS server so that I can install via NFS. What
>files do I need to modify and how, and what Debian files do I need to
>download?

At least, you have to edit /etc/exports to let your Alpha mount the
NFS-rootfs for installing and when you want to install over NFS,
export the CDROM or the copied files, too. Isn't the nsfd/rpc.mountd
included in the base install?

Other documents on booting DECstations (again, MIPS based, but the boot
process is very similar to the DEC Alphas) via tftp/mopd are on:
http://decstation.unix-ag.org/docs/dec_tftpboot.html
http://www.xs4all.nl/~vhouten/mipsel/install.html

On booting an DEC Alpha via SRM:
http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/srm-3.html#ss3.8

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Poliittinen Laulu (Punk Lurex OK),