Re: AS255: UW SCSI, sound, video, kernel

> On Jun 21, William Brioschi scrawled :

> First, I want to thank all those who answered my previous posting
> about the RAM for an Alphastation 255. I bought four 16 meg parity
> SIMMs and now I have a perfectly working workstation.

much coolness, welcome to the party!

<snip scsi stuff>
don't know, sounds good, others may provide more info.

> Second: on board sound chip. What is it? Is it supported?

it is.  It is the Microsoft Sound system.  Enable it via srm console with
>>>add_sound
and compile in kernel support for OSS_Sound_modules and MSS.
works for me pretty good :)
/aside.
When I do a cat /dev/sndstat, it give both Microsoft Sound supprot, as well as
> Compaq Deskpro XL
does anyone know what this means.  The card works Okay for everthing, but it
bugs me a little that it shows 2 cards being present.

   Fourth: video card. I have a TGA2 (Powerstorm 3d30), in VGA
> emulation mode. I can't have it turn on the monitor in native
> mode. Not even thinking of frame buffer or X. Is there support
> for it any way? Or, is it any way compatible to TGA? Or, are
> specifications available? maybe I could write fb support.

*shrug* I had one for a while, and swapped it for  a Matrox Millenium.
X does not go on th TGA2 , and has no chance ever from what I have heard.
I found that it was very usedful for a console though.

--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au