x11amp/ esd crashes me hard

   I've been trying unsuccessfully to get x11amp/ xmms working on alpha-linux
since the source was released but I recently got it working from the potato
(debian unstable) deb.  It only works with esd running, and it seems to run
normally for a few minutes, but then my machine freezes.  It's probably the
shaky es1371 driver, but I've tried my soundcard in two 164sx's with the same
result.  Is anyone else running x11amp/ xmms on their alphas?

Randall