Re: [SUCESS]: Building 2.2.9 on Ruffian

Constantine Vetoshev <con@consela.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 05:33:08PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> > PS: :(( but don't try sound with an Creative 1371 driver. It hangs the
> > system completly as soon as one starts amp.
>
> Same with the 1370 driver. I tried both for both a PCI128 with an ES1370
> chipset and a Creative AudioPCI with an ES1371 chipset. I also tried the
> ALSA drivers, and those resulted in the same effect. Has anyone actually
> succeeded in getting one of these working on an Alpha machines (let alone
> a Ruffian)?

Creative 1371 works perfect on an sx164. I bought my soundcard
together with my friend and he has an sx164. His works, mine not.

> Incidentally, I also tried sound with a Crystal CS4236 chipset-based ISA
> card, and that worked (although the sound was absolutely awful), but only
> with a 2.2.9 kernel. 2.2.10 hangs on starting any sound application in the
> same way as Goswin described above. I never saw a UNIX machine crash like
> this before: keyboard dead (the SysRq key does not work!) and the machine
> knocked clean off the network.
>
> Has anyone tried to use the AWE64 on an Alpha, particularly a Ruffian?
> Any luck?

echo fdjkghdskjhg >/dev/audio

gives a short noise and generates one interupt. Works perfectly, every
time.

cat foo.wav >/dev/audio

hangs completly. My scsi led stays on for ever. Maybe the sound
collides with the scsi and they both crash the system?
Gotta try with /dev/rand or /dev/zero.

MfG,
	Goswin