Re: [SUCESS]: Building 2.2.9 on Ruffian

On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 05:33:08PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

[ snip ]

> PS: :(( but don't try sound with an Creative 1371 driver. It hangs the
> system completly as soon as one starts amp.

Same with the 1370 driver. I tried both for both a PCI128 with an ES1370
chipset and a Creative AudioPCI with an ES1371 chipset. I also tried the
ALSA drivers, and those resulted in the same effect. Has anyone actually
succeeded in getting one of these working on an Alpha machines (let alone
a Ruffian)?

Incidentally, I also tried sound with a Crystal CS4236 chipset-based ISA
card, and that worked (although the sound was absolutely awful), but only
with a 2.2.9 kernel. 2.2.10 hangs on starting any sound application in the
same way as Goswin described above. I never saw a UNIX machine crash like
this before: keyboard dead (the SysRq key does not work!) and the machine
knocked clean off the network.

Has anyone tried to use the AWE64 on an Alpha, particularly a Ruffian?
Any luck?

Regards,
Constantine Vetoshev