Re: xlib6g static Alpha builds symbol-less

On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 11:03:32AM -0500, Shaw Terwilliger wrote:
> I had some trouble linking with the static X libraries on an
> unstable (potato) Debian Alpha box.  I searched the bug list
> to see an old bug (last month) which detailed the exact script
> which accidentally stripped all the symbols out of libX11.a.  :)
>
> Anyway, I was planning on doing a final static build of a few
> binaries today (www.abisource.com) for a release, but this
> machine currently can't do this.  I've mailed the Alpha X11
> architecture maintainer (from the X Strike Force page) but
> received no reply yet.
>
> I'm assuming that this bug is outstanding in the Alpha builds
> because no one has gotten around to re-building XFree 3.3.3.1
> there yet.  Is this about how things work, or is there some
> other address I should be contacting?

I am CC'ing this reply to the debian-alpha mailing list.

I do not have access to an unstable Alpha box so I cannot build the latest
XFree86 for it.  Hopefully one of the Alpha folks will be able to address
this issue for you.

Hopefully xfree86-1 can be added to the Alpha auto-build list (I guess they
use buildd).  If there are problems with compiling XFree86 on the Alpha I'd
like to hear about them (unless they are source dependency issues, see
debian/README.source-depends in the source package).

People on the Alpha list: I do not subscribe to this list so please CC any
replies to me if you want me to see them.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    You should try building some of the
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    stuff in main that is modern...turning